Hello IF bloggers! Thanks for stopping by. If you came here by way of a comment I left for you about my research, you may want to go back a few posts where you can read all about it. As always, feel free to email me at utinfertilityresearch@gmail.com .

When I started my dissertation data collection, I thought I would have little trouble finding participants. I put out a few "feelers" on sites such as IVFConnections.com and TheBump.com, and had lots of women indicate that they would be willing to participate. What I did not anticipate is how challenging it would be to recruit their husbands to take part in the study. Initially, I thought maybe it was an issue of compensation- hence the free movie tickets that I am giving to those couples who complete the survey. However, this does not seem to be the case.

I am curious to hear your thoughts, Blog-world- why do many men seem hesitant to respond to questions about the issue of infertility, while women are so eager to do so? (As a researcher, I have about 1000 hypotheses- but I would rather hear from all of you.)

My goal is 100 couples. It seems like a modest goal, doesn't it? Right now, I am inching towards 50. Halfway there. If you know ANYONE who might be willing to take part, or have ideas of other ways to reach out to the infertile community, please don't hesitate to contact me.

With a sample of 100 couples, I think I have a great shot at publication... and a chance to be "heard" by the medical community, infertility clinics, etc. And the more I connect with people, the more I realize how much our voices need to be heard. How lacking our current resources for mental health and relationship issues related to IF are.

I do believe that together we can make an impact, for those of us who are currently struggling and those who will face this battle down the road. So thank you for the invaluable role you play in this process!

8 comments:

linda said...

Are you looking at non-traditional couples? Couples that aren't married? Same sex? Single parenting choices?

Elisabeth said...

For the purpose of the current study (which by its nature must unfortunately be limited in scope) I will be looking at heterosexual married couples. HOWEVER, anyone who falls outside that category is welcome to contact me, as I will undoubtedly be seeking to look at other populations in the near future.

Nikus said...

My hubby is right there with many others! He doesn't want to talk about it to other people, me okay, but others, hell no. I hesitate to even ask. If you want my answers, I'd be glad to be a part of it. Good luck and I will keep watching your blog.

Missy said...

I have a hypothesis. You are going to communities online where women have already established some willingness to talk about their experience with IF. The fact that it is the spouse that is hesitant may just be reflecting the fact that you found them b/c one spouse already is talking about the subject. Of course that begs the question of why women are more likely to seek out online communities on this topic. Certainly there are societal expectations that make parenthood much more important for women. Plus the physical toll of treatments place the greater burden on women. These are reasons why women are probably more likely to seek out communities of support.

cdg said...

I am very impressed. I an actually a psychologist myself, currently in the middle of my IF journey. It is a challenge that I do not even have the words for. I think what you are doing is wonderful and hope myself to be able to help women like me once my IF struggles are behind me. Best of luck to you.

Christa said...

I don't know about any of you ladies but my husband's just plain lazy! We were signing IVF consent forms yesterday and I thought I'd have to forge his signature for him!

Pamela T. said...

Seems I've timed out for your study. I'm 46 and my husband is older than me, but I've been studying this very topic informally for several years. It led me to write not a dissertation but a book that's had some good response. You can learn more (including discussion of the challenges inherent in infertility a recent TV interview) on my website. I wish you much success with your work!

Pamela T. said...

oops. I hit send too soon. The website I was referring to is: http://www.silentsorority.com

Best, Pamela