OK, so where was I?

Young, conflicted, and scared, I suppose. And then I met Jeff. To summarize the first three years of our relationship: we met, got engaged, I freaked out, we got unengaged, Jeff moved to TX, we realized that we were/are meant to be together, I moved to TX, we got re-engaged, and finally, on May 30, 2004, we got married.



Not long after, I figured it was time that we give the baby-making routine that scared the bejeebers out of me (given that I felt destined to fail) a shot. I read "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" cover to cover. Was amazed by how little I knew about my body. Took my temperature (daily). Checked my cervix, the fluid, etc etc etc.

And here's where the story gets weird.

I got pregnant. The first cycle we tried. Yes, I was one of "those" women who I would later grow to hate. I was surprised, amazed, ecstatic. I was an uber-fertile woman! We had done it!

Three weeks later, I began spotting. The u/s revealed a fetal pole, but not the heartbeat that should have been present. Three days later, it was gone. It was over. We scheduled a D&C. I lay huddled on the couch, feeling empty. More than anything else, I felt that I had been right all along... I would get my due, my punishment would be meted.

It is hard to say what was stronger at this point- my desire to BE a mother, or my desire NOT to be infertile. Does that make any sense? I was willing to do anything in order to get pregnant. In retrospect, I am not sure I was able to see beyond the "getting pregnant" part... motherhood was a distant goal, one that was obscured behind the years of guilt, shame, and fear.

17 comments:

Steph said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. But if you can gain any positive out of such a sad story, it is that you did get pregnant! Sometimes, that is the hardest part. I don't believe you ruined your body as you say. Seems like your body responded fine with your DH's sperm. This IF stuff can be really hard to deal with but it is never good to blame anything or anyone, including yourself. I am on my first round of IVF and my DH and I are hoping and praying this works! I will say a prayer for the two of you! What are your nexts steps?

Steph said...

LOL, so it really helps if I read the whole blog! Congratulations on twins!!!

Rachel said...

Visiting from NaComLeavMo:

I identify with what you have posted of in the first part of your story. I am glad to know you already have a happy "ending" with the twins. They are cute!

Erin said...

NCLM:
It's so true, eh? You kind of lose sight of the forest for the trees... I think that analogy works. I have to remind myself sometimes that the end goal isn't just getting pregnant, its having a child.
Glad to hear you've had success, and good on ya for going for your PhD!
Ever wonder if your kids will go that far?

Erin said...

Congrats on your twins. Best of luck to you as your journey continues.

Kim said...

Your kids are so cute! I understand no really knowing where you now fit in. I feel infertile still even thought I have won the battle three separate times. In the midst of all the hormones and shots and emotions it is hard to distinguish between wanting to be a mom and wanting to be pregnant. After going through so much for the boys I finally hit my limit of what I can physically and emotionally endure. So, we are on the waiting list to adopt a baby girl from South Korea!

Portia P said...

Here from NCLM.

Your twins are so cute! It was weird reading this post and then flicking down to see the happy ending.

I'm intrigued to know where you're going - are you going to try again?

Jill said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Your stuggles and your loneliness.

Keep your head up!

(nclm)

Queenie. . . said...

I hope you come back and keep going, because I am riveted!

Jendeis said...

Here from NaComLeavMo. You look so gorgeous in the wedding pics. Love the dress!

Anonymous said...

Here from NCLM.

Well, first obviously major congrats on the twins!

Secondly....I think you hit on a point that many are afraid to admit. Which do we want more? To be pregnant or to prove that we're not infertile. Which doesn't mean that we don't want children but there is something about not being able to achieve something so primal that is seriously difficult to deal with.

Tanya said...

Your little ones are so sweet. Love that mischievious little smile.

Nadine said...

nacomleavmo
Wow that is some relationship, glad you got together in the end, the losses must have been hard, and congrats on the twins.

Pepper said...

I think that this journey happens in parts: getting pg, staying pg, getting through the birth, making it through the first few months, etc. Sometimes focusing on the steps too far ahead is overwhelming.

Best of luck to you and your family! Visiting from NCLM

Sam said...

Welcome back to blogland, I hope you continue to write.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

hi
I'm here from NaComLeavCom
I am overwhelmed by the amazing stories on NCLM.

I am sorry for the loss of your two babies. I lost a little girl in 2004.
I have two little monkeys too ... 23 months old via IVF #2.
You picked a great time to return to bloggyville.
All the best.
My Little Drummer boys
warm regards
Trish

DC said...

Congrats on your twins!